Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seeing somebody die

I had the most fucked up dream I've EVER had last night. Only once have I felt emotion so strong in a dream and it was horrific.

Last night I went to sleep and I don't remember much about the bulk of my dreams except for the fact that I know I had more than one but only one sticks out in my mind. I'm in what appears to be a mall, in a store. In this store is my boss and with her are her husband and my old boss (we all work together). Suddenly we see the sewers (in the middle of the main hallway of this mall as if it were a street) start to explode upwards with a rush of water and a fireball engulfing the column of water. One by one they do this down the "street". It seems that in this dream my boss' husband is a firefighter and he's going to go rush off to solve this problem. We tell him a few times that he needn't worry (odd), possibly because nobody's hurt or walking there...and it's a dream so stuff doesn't make sense. Around the 3rd-4th explosion it reaches a central section, kind of like an intersection. This intersection simply explodes and collapses. Now we have a problem.

Water starts gushing out onto the "street" in all directions. It seems that this "street" is on the 3rd floor of this "mall" though. There are 2 girls at the edge of the street when the water starts gushing and it starts to cover one of the girls and push her. After a few tense moments it seems she's ok...but the other girl jumps for some reason. I quickly take off a layer of clothing, my jacket I think, and jump after her but land only one floor down. I'm sure she went further. I run around to the side she was on when she jumped and hurdle a wall that appears lead down another floor. At the top of this wall I realize it's a fountain. It's shallow. I look to my right and see the little girl crushed. She landed in this shallow fountain. Her mother comes running behind me a few moments later and scoops up her dead child. I'm in shock. Somebody yells to get her camera. She had a camera around her neck when she jumped. For some reason getting the camera seemed important. I run to get the camera and see it's completely smashed in but not shattered. This camera was symbolic of the girl and her state. My boss comes up behind me to give me a hug. I run and curl up in a corner facing the wall as I hold the camera, whimpering. I wake up whimpering. I've never felt so much loss.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Wow, sounds like an intense dream. I don't usually have dreams like that, but yeah, dreams rarely make sense.

Planetx_123 said...

That's really interesting. Have you lost someone in your life to experience loss like this or was this loss what you imagine loss to be? Dreams are so interesting- I don't think they really hold any meaning except to randomly reflect some memories and other stimuli. Its interesting how the brain puts together dreams- because you are right- they never make sense. They are always "close" to reality, but with gaping anomalies that could never exist in the real world. It's always small things- like streets on upper floors in malls, etc. Why would the brain generate this? Why do we not encounter the same anomalies in waking life...its the same brain, just slightly different electrical signals as inputs.

In another life I would've loved to have majored in psychology and done neuro-physiology. I took two classes and decided that research papers sucked!

Have you seen the movie Waking Life? While I am not a person who easily gives credence to these notions as real- I still think its a good thought experiment and makes for really interesting conversation.

Steve