Sunday, November 30, 2008

Emotions and Dreams

Last night I had the most amazing dream.  Let me begin with a few facts.  I'm not a father, nor have I ever come close to being one.  I don't consider myself to be a father-figure to anyone nor am I ready to become one.  I do love, however, helping and protecting so I guess that's somewhat fatherly.  Also, I'm not religious.  I consider myself to be agnostic.  I don't particularly believe God has anything to do with our daily lives, He probably has better things to do.  I do believe in God, I don't believe in religion.  Let's move on.

The circumstances are shady.  For some reason I have two children and the mother isn't in this dream, it seems.  I'm in a synagogue/church.  I'm apparently here to affiliate my children with a religion.  My oldest, a boy no older than 8 will be Jewish and my little girl will be Catholic.

My son appears to be quite happy about the whole thing and my daughter seems to be almost too young to care.  He's asking questions and as we get closer to the "room" in which he's to officially accept his religion he no longer wants to go through with it.  He begins to cry and tell me he doesn't want to do it.  Immediately I begin to console him.  The exact words I don't remember but it's basically "You don't have to, this is YOUR day and if you don't want to that's okay".  He's sobbing and you can see it's just so heartfelt and he genuinely doesn't want this at all.  I get down on the floor sitting Indian-style and he kneels down and I just hold him as he cries.  I try my best to console him and make him understand that it's entirely okay.

As he's calming down the Rabbi approaches me and, again the exact words aren't clear to me but here's the general idea, he says something along the lines of "We're here for a reason and he's just wasing my time".  I don't take kindly to this.  My son and I are now standing, I'm still hugging him, holding his head with one arm as he sobs and my other arm outstretched pointing at the Rabbi with a me yelling something the lines of "Nobody yells at my son that way and you're here because it's your job".  We go back and forth and I end with "I don't need to take this from you.  I don't want to listen to anymore of your nonsense", and I appeal to another Rabbi to get him away from my family.

My daughter doesn't appear to play much of a role in this.  I'm not sure what happens between the Rabbi thing and now but I simply bring her to another "room" and that's where she becomes Catholic.

I wake up feeling such anger at the Rabbi, such love and a need to protect my son.  And within minutes it's all gone.  A wonderful dream but sadly it was only a dream.  I can only hope that in the future I have a little boy of my own, one to love and protect; to show him the world - someone that I mean the world to.  I'm not ready now, but one day I will be.

I find it amazing that dreams can bring out such emotion; emotions we've never felt before and yet they feel so real.  Just writing this post made me feel some of that again, though I'm sure even that will begin to fade.  It's too bad, it was such a great feeling.  Also, keep in mind that the dream does not, in any way, express how I feel about one religion over the other.  Take it as just a backdrop, what's important is the what, not the why.  The emotion and the characters are the focus.

1 comment:

Aek said...

That's an interesting dream. Last night I had a vivid dream too, but very different. Mine was about being in a plane on a trip to Beijing, China, and my dad was there with me. At some point he gets handcuffed to his seat and I get anxious/apprehensive about flying. Which is so not like me.

I woke up wanting to go back to sleep until the dream ended. I hate it when I wake up and I'm still kind of dreaming. Dreams are capable of eliciting so many emotions, even ones you've never really felt before.