Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Aint that some shit

If I already used that as a title for another post, sorry.  This totally deserves it though.  Today they made ANOTHER round of cuts.  My boss (she's still around for the time being, God knows when they'll get rid of her too though) called me into her office and told me there was going to be some stuff going down but that I shouldn't worry.  A few hours later the lead Flash developer gets called into the CTO's office.  He comes out, puts his hat on and his coat and leaves.  This is at 4:45, our day ends at 6...I knew what had just happened.  Then I saw more people leaving.  It was scary.

The Front End team is down to 3 people, the Interactive team has been dissolved, and the back-end is down to 4.  Aint that some shit.

I've been talking to a recruiter lately about a job in Toronto, Ontario (yup, up in Canada).  I really want to take it since they're willing to relocate whoever they pick for the job.  We'll see how that goes.  The NY Times never got back to me so whatever.  Maybe a move away from the American economy is exactly what I need.  I hope it works out.  I hate the cold but I'll deal if I get to move out on my own and explore another country.

3 comments:

Aek said...

Wow, that's scary to read about. It's ridiculous how things like that work. I hope you don't get fired for quite some time, and if you do, that you have a really sweet job lined up and all.

Planetx_123 said...

Yea- living in canada (toronto specifically) and living in London are both of on the top of my list of life to-dos. If your not held down by anything (family, etc.), then I would go for it. There may not be other opportunities to do this later in life, and you are right - this economy is no place you want to get a job.

Steve

Crash said...

I can't get fired now. I was honestly worried about it before because I've done NOTHING for the past month or so. I mean, I worked on one project and got it done (the playboy customizer) but before and after that I was just surfing the web all day for lack of things to do. At this point, if they fire me they'll have only 2 people to handle promotions on ~30 websites. I have to say that now I have more job security than ever even though I don't want it and I'm looking to leave...but they don't know that.

As for moving to Canada, that's exactly my reasoning. I'm 22, I don't have anyone to move with me that would complicate things, and I have nothing to lose! If I don't like it I can find another job out there or move back in with my parents until I find a place.