Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Job Search Continues

I posted my resumé online last night.  I got 4-5 phonecalls today.  It was amusing.  I'm entertaining some of the offers, I need to find a new job because I don't know how long the company is going to last.  It's scary when you don't know if you'll have a job and not because you suck at your job, because I'm sure you can feel that one coming, but simply due to lack of funds.  I doubt that at this point they'll single anybody out because there's hardly anybody left so the only logical step from here is to close the company (unless they can get back on their feet and I don't know anything about how long that would take or how close we are).

I think it's time for a new job anyway.  I don't know if any of you have felt this but I've had it happen at my retail jobs; I felt complacent and I knew I could get away with more than I should.  When you know the system, you know the people, you can use situations to your advantage.  I'm not saying use people, but things may no longer be a challenge or you can find a way to shirk something onto somebody else.  I don't like doing that and so to keep myself honest I think it's time to move on.  Don't get me wrong, I pull my own weight and then some, I just think in order for me to grow in experience I need to go someplace that can challenge me with something more than "how fast can you put up 70 promos?"

And so the job search continues...

3 comments:

Aek said...

Good luck with the job search!

My work for the last several years had been working in a biomedical research lab. I'm completely lab'd out. I don't want to do research anymore, time for a change I think.

Thank God for med school next year.

Crash said...

I'm looking for a job that allows me the flexibility of using both front and back end technologies. I hope that's not aiming too high, I think it's actually something that should be more common. Hopefully I can find something like that. I wouldn't be able to handle just doing one or the other. I'd go crazy with the annoyance just straight HTML can provide or staring at a database all day.

Planetx_123 said...

Obviously, I am biased. I have been strictly back end for two years. However, I love the challenges. I would hate it if it wasn't so difficult. We do high volume, high availability software. So we get to play with the best hardware and really push traditional architecture to the limit, and get to prototype experimental things (grid based, clustering, etc.) that makes it alot of fun.

Are you looking more for another contractor shop that goes from project to project or a software company that has longer running projects?

Steve