Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Nonsense Galore

This morning started off as any other but quickly changed. As I'm passing the parking lot this morning I see a construction crew in front of the entrance. I had to go around to the side entrance to the parking lot. I sit at my desk ready to start the morning. A little before 10am all internet functions cease. The whole company is unable to access the internet...at an e-commerce company. This is quite a problem. As it turns out, the construction crew was tearing up the street and had to cut some cables. They cut our fiberoptic line.

We were completely unable to do ANYTHING. Even testing on our development servers couldn't be done due to the need for images from the live servers. We all got in trouble, of course, because we weren't doing anything useful. Go figure. Somewhere around 2-3pm we got minimal connectivity through a satellite connection but everything crawled and productivity was at a stand-still.

On the bright side my phone interview went really well and they're looking to move forward. I was told by multiple people that I should accept the contract job offer and if the perm job turns out then I simply decline the contract job. Chances are if the perm job turns out it will be before I start the contract job anyway. And if it doesn't turn out I will have already accepted the contract job instead of losing out. There you have it, folks! That's my plan and we'll see what happens. I'll keep you all updated.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Sucks about the no internet at work. :-/

But sounds like a good plan to me!! :D I'm glad your second phone interview went well. ^_^

Seth said...

ah ha!! so you've got the time conflict taken care of with the jobs then - like you stated, accept the temp, see if the perm works out, then have a fallback position