Monday, February 16, 2009

Jobs, Interviews, and Recruiters! Oh My!

I got the job I interviewed for! The recruiter called me this morning. I'm sure he was expecting much more enthusiasm from me but I also got a call from another recruiter saying I landed a phone interview at another company. This job would be permanent, not contract like the first one. If I get this one it'd be great. I'd be letting down the first recruiter but I'm not here to get jobs to make others feel better. I'm out to get paid and get paid well. Job stability would really be a plus and a contract job would mean I'd be looking for a new job as soon as I start, pretty much.

What do you guys think? I'll list the pros of each job are and you tell me what your thoughts are.

Contract:
I already got the job, I just have to accept
It's 30 minutes from home (perm is an hour or so)
I'd be well compensated (roughly $10K more than I make now)
I'd be focussing on new features to an already working system
Telecommuting would be allowed at will

Permanent:
Compensation should be about $2K more than the contract job, minimum (~$12-15K more than I make now)
Permanent means unless I get fired or laid off I've got job stability (contract is 3-6 months)
Larger company (or so it seems) means I'll be working as part of a team (I'd be the sole developer, pretty much, at the contract job)

3 comments:

Aek said...

Congrats!! :D

If you get the permanent job, I think I'd personally go with that based solely on the pros you've listed.

Though, sometimes the cons outweigh the pros, even if there are fewer cons. So I guess I can't make a complete opinion here, oh well.

Seth said...

Ohhh... I hate hate hate those sort of situations. Doesn't it just drive you crazy? Pressure to choose, huge implications for your near future life. Ugh.

1) consider the commute. is it an issue for you (ie do you mind driving/taking mass transit) and the distance factor. Is it an easy commute? Highway traffic?

2) money: seems like you're in a win-win situation there, although the perm job has a slight edge with a higher salary. either way - wow, great leap upwards in that category!

3)tele commute - factor into #1??

4) temp job "new features on existing system" = more creativity/enjoyment?? you mention being the sole developer at the temp job - is that a good or bad thing? likewise, with the perm job - is the team a better working environment?

The one thing you didn't mention (i don't know whether you considered it) is this: you've GOT the one temp job. in the bag.
You've ONLY got a telephone interview with the perm job (which I assume means a second round of in-person interview, etc) - before they make a decision? So, while im sure you're perfectly qualified for the perm job - you'd don't really have any guarantee you WILL get it.

And of course, it really boils down to deadlines. You've got the one recruiter waiting on your return confirmation. How long (a day or few) can you put off accepting the job? Because if you want the permanent job, you've still got the interviews and etc to get through, BEFORE you will even know for sure.

So, I suppose, if I'm reading it correctly from your post, it seems like a question of, are you willing to gamble and pass up the first (temp) offer, in hopes of winning the second job? Thats the bottom line and the toughest question. Because despite being a win-win situation, it can also be a lose-lose, where you pass up job #1, and then don't get job #2. Tough to choose, I know.

*positive thoughts for you*

my captcha word is "polymism" is that somewhere between optimisn and pessimism ? :)

Col said...

Congrats on landing the contract job and good luck with the interview for the permanent one.

Personally, I would opt for the permanent position (if it was offered).

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Take care,
Col