Friday, October 31, 2008

Brush with Death

I was driving home last night after going out to a bar to celebrate the launch of a new website. I'm driving back home on the Parkway and I'm anal about certain things. One of which is not driving in the left lane unless you're actually passing somebody. The Parkway is desolate. Maybe a car here or there, but getting towards my exit, I'm maybe 10 minutes out and I grab my phone to change the song (I have my radio playing off my phone) and I look up...I see brake lights on the shoulder and I'm thinking...ok that's weird. I'm doing about 80-90 and all of a sudden i FLY past something in the left lane. I look in my mirror and see tail lights. Apparently the car on the shoulder had collided with the CAR that I flew past in the left lane. If I had been in the left lane I never would've seen him. His front end was smashed pretty badly and his headlights were completely broken because of it meaning I wouldn't have seen him until...well until i was about to hit him at ~80MPH.

Some scary shit. I'm alive out of sheer luck. I had a 33% chance of getting into an accident there and probably inches away from 100%

2 comments:

Aek said...

Woah that's scary. I generally don't do more than 80mph on the highway/freeway/parkway/whatever.

Good thing you don't like being in the left lane. :D

Crash said...

Sadly, I speed all too often. As soon as I get onto a highway my foot somehow magically finds a comfortable spot between 80 and 90. Sometimes I'm doing 65-70 and some asshole will cut me off or do something terribly stupid that will set me off.....then a brief stint at 120 will follow (just to get away from the asshole) and after 15 seconds or so I'm doing 80-90 and 65-70 has gone out the window.

I'm too aggressive on the road. I hope I get more patient as I get older.