Thursday, October 23, 2008

Life lessons of the real world - cont'd

My story continues, as you can obviously guess from the title.  I got to choose which department to be on.  I chose to go back to front end with the manager I like and after a sit-down with the CTO of the company we concluded I'd be on as a special projects developer for the front end.  I would be a shared resource for both departments but primarily front end.  Basically this means that, for the time being, nothing will change with my current projects.  I'm glad everything worked out the way it did and I'm sure once October 2009 comes around I'll be looking for a new job.

As special projects developer for the front end my projects could range from back-end, flash, SQL, and AJAX as well as front end.  All technologies I'm familiar with and I'll be glad to use all my skills.  I'll also be partnered with a back-end developer for some projects to gain more back-end experience.  If nothing more, my time at the company has been one big learning experience.  I've learned more about people, Javascript, Flash (AS2 and AS3), PHP, and HTML/CSS than I knew going in.  I've grown as a person and I've also grown more cautious.  Sometimes it's the bad experiences that shape us most.  I know I've learned a lot.

No comments: