Friday, January 23, 2009

A Wonderful Surprise

I was at home on Tuesday when I got a text from my uncle saying his son would be flying in today. I was ecstatic. I took the day off and went to the airport with him this morning to pick him up. His flight arrived at 4:32AM so it was a long day.

He passed out around 9-9:30 while we were playing PS3. Poor little guy hadn't slept in probably over 20 hours. He complained that trying to sleep on the airplane was an impossible task.

He's 12 and I've babysat him since he was about 8 or 9. I would drive to my uncle's after or before work when I was working retail to make sure his homework was done and spend time with him. My uncle's a lawyer so his schedule can be quite random and sometimes incredibly long. Also the flying back and forth between his mother an father made it hard for him to make many friends here.

I'm a mere 10 years older than him but I almost feel like he's my son -- or at least I defend him like he is. I'm not sure what it is but I've always felt the need to protect him and watch out for him.

I'm not sure how long he'll be staying but I'll make sure to try to drive down to see him every once in a while. Itt's too bad my uncle moved more than an hour and a half away from me over the summer or I'd be able to make the trip more often.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Awww, that's pretty sweet and awesome! Take good care of him. :P

Planetx_123 said...

Thats really cool. My nephew is 19 now (my half-sister is waaay older than me) and he is a huge pot head. I don't get along with him at all... I wish I had a more normal family.

Steve