Saturday, January 3, 2009

What We Take for Granted

The wisdom and insight of those around us is probably foremost on that list.  This morning I got on my computer as I always do and read that John Travolta's son died.  Quite honestly, this means very little to me, I'm not one to follow the stars but it is a sad occurrence regardless.  I read this article and put it in the back of my mind as I tend to do.  A few hours later my mom and I talked for a few minutes and we went back to doing what we were doing.

For some reason I felt like bringing up the John Travolta story.  She's usually up on the happenings in Hollywood for some reason.  I mentioned it and we got to talking.  We talked at length about life and eventually got to the topic of what we do with our lives.  She's said before that I should enjoy my life while I'm young (don't get tied down, don't feel you have obligations anywhere or to anyone but yourself).  This particular conversation went the route of the job offer in Canada I told you guys about.  She said that she was excited when I told her about it because she had always wanted to travel the world and that it doesn't matter where a job takes me (career-wise and life-wise) I should experience as much as I can of the world, of life. (sidenote: the job turned out to be for a company that made their website in what appears to be Microsoft Frontpage...I don't think I want to work with them.  That and they have no portfolio.)

We had worked out a payment schedule a few months ago so that I could chip in and pay rent (not my idea) since times are tough and the mortgage is expensive.  She told me just now that regardless of what we worked out, I have no obligations here and if I want to go I should and should I ever find it didn't work out I always have a home to come back to...regardless of whether my stuff has been thrown out or not (and she said she probably would throw it out).

I never thought I'd feel this way but I think I want to go.  I want to apply to jobs EVERYWHERE and see what comes up.  I had originally confined my job search to Northern NJ, then extended it into NY.  After the Canadian job I aded Canada and I think I'm done being passive about this job search thing.  I'll list myself as open to work just about anywhere and I'm going to start actively looking.  Forget depending on recruiters.  It's January, companies will hopefully have a new round of funding for the new year either now or soon and that means looking for talent.  I'm currently working on version 3 of my Woot!-off checker and it will be my crowning achievement.  I hope to have a job before I finish it but if I don't, I'm sure it will help me get my foot in the door.

1 comment:

Aek said...

I've always wanted to travel. It's not something I get to do often at all.

Best of luck with the job search, and happy new year!! :)