Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Blessing in Disguise?

I took my cousin to his brother's place after leaving my uncle's house and my cousin slept over there. I picked him up the next day and we all headed down the turnpike. Little did we know this would be a painful trip. I knew there would be traffic and I figured cops would also be out in force. My 17 year old cousin would be following me to his father's house in his girlfriend's car.

We pulled over at a rest area for gas just as traffic began to get heavy. We depart with full tanks of gas and we're on our way. Traffic is stop-and-go and we're making slow progress, but progress nonetheless. We're in the middle lane and I decide that this lane is no longer moving quick enough so I move to the left lane which seems to have a nice flow. I saw an opening an took it, my cousin would've fit except he got cockblocked by the guy I got in front of so he gets behind him instead. As traffic normally works, as soon as I moved into the lane it came to a halt and the lane I was in began moving. Go figure.

Why am I complaining about traffic? I'm not. I'm setting the scene for what happened next.

We're in the left lane for about 5 minutes - stop, go, repeat. I'm fuzzy on the details but as I'm told, the lane began moving again and we got upto roughly 40 MPH. The car in front of me stopped, so I did the same. The guy behind me chose to try plowing through traffic instead of waiting in it, which is to say he slammed into my car at ~40MPH. It all happened so quickly that I hardly remember it. I remember having to pick my glasses up off the floor of the car because they flew off in the collision. He hit me so hard he slammed me into the car in front of me. My car is fucked up on both ends and I'm not sure what's going to happen to it. It may get totalled.

I woke up Monday with a sore neck. It's been getting steadily worse. I woke up today and it hurt a bit more. Luckily I reported that to the insurance company, but unfortunately my neck wasn't hurting at the scene of the accident so I told them I was fine. It might be time to look for a new car on top of my apartment search.

On the bright side my uncle flew in from Colombia last night and we all sat down and talked things over. It seems my uncle has been doing some thinking recently about their home situation and we all appear to be on the same page. We'll see if things really do get better. 2010 can only be better than this year, right?

2 comments:

Aek said...

:-(

That sucks about your car, and your neck. I hope you're alright - the car can be replaced (painful as that may be financially).

It's good that you got to talk things over with your uncle. Hopefully you can get together and form a kind of "game plan" for 2010, and hopefully it'll be a better than this.

Seth said...

OMG. At least you are ok, mostly!
Make sure you get your neck checked out - things can be injured even though you don't know it right away, and could get worse over time. Perhaps a chiropractor?

I do too hope 2010 is a better year. Hang in there!
:)