Thursday, December 3, 2009

Blessing? No, not so much.

Today I learned what gap insurance does and doesn't do.
Does:

  • Cover a difference between your insurance payout and the amount you owe on the car

  • Save you money if your car is worth less than what you owe



Doesn't:

  • Pay off the rest of your car leaving your insurance payout to cover part of the cost of a new car

  • Help much if the depreciation is roughly in line with the payments



My car is totaled and I end up with a grand total of $1500. I basically get to start over with buying a car instead of making some headway like I thought I would. I figured gap insurance would take care of the car and I could use $7K-10K to pay for part of my next car. I was terribly mistaken. I have 27 days left on my rental (26 tomorrow) and I need to get a loan and find a car in that amount of time. The problem is that I'm picky about cars and I'm not going to go out and buy a Honda for $15K if I'm gonna hate it. Why sink that much money into a machine you'll hate to look at, let alone drive? Considering the rate of depreciation of a Honda it would be hard to find a newer Honda for that price anyway.

This blows

2 comments:

Aek said...

:-( That sucks. I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out like you hoped. And none of it was your fault either! Oh the unfairness.

But at you're okay, right?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.