Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Attack of Mr. Mom

So far the past few days have been quite interesting. Sunday morning I got in a huge fight with my uncle's wife. My uncle woke up my cousin and handed him the baby. Of couse the baby cried and was inconsolable. She walks in and starts yelling at my cousin for being useless, at which point I remind her it's not his child and that he was woken up to be yelled at. She walks away pissed and talking to herself. I go downstairs for a drink and a few minutes later I hear her coming down the stairs and thinking out loud, more about how my cousin is useless and how he won't even "say goodbye to the baby".

At this point I feel the need to shut her up because waking him up to hold a baby while she gets ready and my uncle packs the car is hardly "saying goodbye", let alone getting yelled at mere minutes after waking up. I sarcastically tell her that I, for one, LOVE to be woken up in the morning only to be treated like SHIT. She's hysterical now. I think it's the fact that nobody's ever talked to her that way.

She yells out the door for my uncle to come inside immediately. I'm holding a glass of water, shaking so badly I can't even take a sip because I was so angry. She's going off on him about how I dared speak to her that way in her own house. I'm silent, attempting to drink my water. My uncle looks at me and I simply shrug and walk upstairs, leaving him to deal with what, as far as I was concerned, he started by setting up my cousin to be yelled at. He could've just as easily put the baby in the crib and he wouldn't have cried any more or less.

Maybe it was the fact that she saw that I walked away and left her looking like a lunatic, or that I simply didn't care enough to continue the fight after I walked away but she apologized and gave me a kiss goodbye (the kiss of Judas? Maybe) after I helped finish pack the car. My uncle apologized repeatedly before they left. We'll see what happens when they come back. I'm sure she won't treat me the same, like I'm always going to back her up. She's a shitty parent.

Alright, so four paragraphs later, I finally get to what the title of the blog is about! Back to how she'a a shitty parent, this house was absolutely disgusting. I hate walking around and having my socks get filthy. I take my shoes off at the door normally since it's how we keep my house clean. Yesterday I couldn't take it anymore and I did the laundry, washing bathmats that hadn't been washed in months, washed the new clothes I bought my cousin on Sunday because who knows where those things had been before we bought them, sweeping the floors, and mopping. I didn't dust, I neither had time nor the will. I doubt I will, it's not my house and that would be a monstrous undertaking.

I helped my cousin wash his bathroom properly. It had been washed before when his father told him to but you know kids. Besides, nobody ever showed him HOW to wash a bathroom properly so he did it his way.

Now at least most of the areas I spend time in are nice and clean.

My cousin and his friends seemed happy his family went away because they were able to roughhouse downstairs and make noise. It was amusing to watch them wrestle and beat each other up. It made me miss those times. His friends were fascinated at the fact that I actually LET them do that. One asked me if I would let my cousin "do anything he wants", a typical question from a 13 year old.

After a while of wrestling amongst themselves they seemed to want to drag me into it. I saw one of two things happening, a lawsuit for breaking somebody's something, or my shoulder getting dislocated again, neither of which were pleasant. I opted out. Luckily my cousin came to the rescue telling them they didn't want to mess with me because I could take him and his older brother, who they know is a pretty tough kid. That didn't stop them from trying though, merely made them think about it before they'd try. One approached me with a metal ruler to see what I'd do. After disarming him and twisting his arm a bit, curiosity was satiated.

I easily spent roughly $300 in the past few days on school supplies and clothing for my cousin (about $150 in each category). He was so excited to get decent supplies, which I found quite weird. I never liked school supply shopping as a kid. After we bought the supplies we organized his binders and pencils and all the other stuff we bought and he was thrilled to go to school today. I can't help but think he just needs somebody to actually take interest in his studies. Sadly his father has yet to do so and his stepmom couldn't give a shit less except to yell at him when he gets a bad grade.

I don't want to make myself more important than I really am, honestly I should only be supplemental to this family, not one of it's main components, but after my cousin said to me last night "I'm glad you were here to take care of this because my dad is too busy" I was about ready to punch a wall. I'm glad he thinks of me as instrumental but I'd hate to see what would happen if I got banned from this household by the wicked witch of the west. I could only hope my uncle was see reason and make sure that never happens or be ready to finally step up and take an interest in my cousin's day-to-day activities and homework.


-Crash

1 comment:

Aek said...

It sounds like you really care for your cousin. Someone's gotta do it, might as well be you?

It sucks that it feels like that responsibility rests on your shoulders when it really shouldn't. But at least you know he looks up to you.