Monday, July 27, 2009

Been busy, here's an update

I was playing with OS X, as you all know. My laptop didn't like it because I installed it on an extended partition (I wasn't sure what would happen but I gave it a try). I was able to boot and run OS X 10.5.6 but had no internet. 10.5.7 would go straight into a reboot loop and on top of that it messed with my boot partition which meant that turning on the laptop now did nothing. I had to use the OS X disc to boot into OS X and couldn't get into my windows partition at all.

It gets better. I came home from a weekend at my friend's lake house and fired up my desktop. I'm watching Kings (AMAZING SHOW!! More on that later) on hulu because he told me to watch it, only 14 episodes so far. I had just finished watching episode 12 when my computer froze. I thought nothing of it and rebooted. It failed to do anything but turn on the fans...crap. Maybe it overheated...I opened the sides and let it be for a bit. Turn it on again later and it gives me a memory error. Try again and it freezes in the bios. Try again and it boots but then gives me a Blue Screen of Death. Fuck. Long story short the motherboard is fried, specifically the memory controller. I need to get a new one but they don't make my motherboard anymore so I'll have to get a newer one which doesn't support my CPU anymore so I need to get a new CPU when I get the new motherboard...shit on me.

I figured, I want to learn Objective-C so I can code for the iPhone and if I spend the money on the desktop it won't get me any closer to learning it so why don't I buy a MacBook? Found a MacBook refurb form last year for $845 on the apple site. I was seconds away from buying it when I started thinking about how I'd run windows apps without a desktop. I figured I'd go with a virtual machine but that requires a beefy system to virtualize the other operating system. The MacBook wasn't going to cut it. I looked around and saw the MacBook Pro 13" with 2GB of DDR3 1066, almost enough but not quite. Luckily a memory upgrade to 4GB was only $90. I bought it and I've been using it since Saturday and writing a few useless apps so far while I learn the language.

Let's backtrack to last Tuesday. I had an interview!! I was told I did very well and they'd give me a call back but not to expect it too soon since they still have more interviewing to do and they're also hiring for multiple positions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and even though it's not close (it's an hour away) I'm sure this job sounds like a great fit. We'll see what happens!

Now to talk about Kings. It's a great show with an amazing cast. It has many parallels and allusions to the Old Testament but in a modern day society. It tells the story of a hero destined to become king. Unfortunately NBC cancelled it but they may pick it up again for another season if enough people do their part. Go watch it on Hulu, then when you see how awesome it is write to NBC and tell them you want more! The whole first season is available to watch on Hulu. Go now. Do it.

2 comments:

Aek said...

I hate it when technology breaks on me. The Blue Screen of Death is particularly disheartening. I avoid tampering with computers for the most part.

I've never watched Kings but I hear it's a good show. Maybe I'll look into it.

Oh, and good luck about the job!! :D

Seth said...

Those sort of computer issue sagas can really drive you batty, can't they. One thing after another - MEH. Maybe the new system will hold better luck?

Good luck with the job, hope it works out for you!!
:)