Friday, December 19, 2008

I can't believe my luck

Today started off particularly shitty.  It all stemmed from yesterday at work.  If other departments could get their shit together before they talk to a developer, that'd be great...but apparently too much to ask for.

I put up a whole bunch of shit, I check it, I have QA check it, I have the creator of the task check it, then I go home.  I receive a nasty email at 6:45 forwarded from my boss that she received from the marketing manager.  Apparently it was an absolute fucking emergency that some banners go live on the website at 6PM and not midnight like I coded them.  I told the person that put the task in that they'd go live at midnight with all the other banners they had given me.  I wasn't going to bend over backwards for them since the task was already late and being done on only hours notice.

The marketing manager raises a HUGE stink about the fact that it's not live.  Luckily we have a system that keeps track of all our tasks and all comments posted to it where it clearly says "this will go live at midnight" and the task creator says "ok".  I sent the marketing manager an email detailing all the events leading upto the task going live and pointed out that if there was a problem it was with the communication between her and her team.  She then went to my boss and my boss more than backed me up, especially considering that they fucked up yet again this morning.  She didn't have a leg to stand on.

So after all that drama and aggrivation at work, I come home in the sleet/snow and break out the snow blower and clear my driveway, clear the sidewalk and the walkway around the house.  I'm almost done and I run over an extension cord...awesome.  Now I have to untangle this shit.  I tip the snow blower over and start to untangle the fucking cord.  After getting it free of the machine I continue.  I'm outside for about an hour and in that time what I first cleared is now covered with snow again so I give it a second go for good measure before putting the snow blower away.  I go to put the snow blower away but we have 2 cars parked side by side in the driveway so I need to move one before I can get the machine back in the garage...my car key is missing.  It's not in my pocket and it's not in the ignition.  FUCK!  I remember hearing a clicking sound inside the snow blower when I went over the area I was untangling the extension cord at.  I must've dropped my key and the snow blower threw it somewhere in the front yard.

Now I'm out a $300 car key.

4 comments:

Col said...

Sorry Crash, I know you've had a shitty day but I had to laugh. It's good to know others have those kind of days too.

Btw, it's good that your boss backs you up. Too many bosses, imho, have no backbone!

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Col

Crash said...

Hopefully it will be. I'm glad my day could at least serve to amuse someone and not just to annoy me. And you're very correct about bosses, most don't back you up. I've been in that position and it sucks. She's great though.

Her exact words to the marketing manager were "This is a war you don't want to start."

Aek said...

LOL! I love your boss's words: "This is a war you don't want to start." Well played. :P

I hope you find your car keys though. That really sucks. :-/

Seth said...

Sorry you had a shitty day, some of them are just like that.

I was going to say, I hope you UNPLUGGED the snowblower BEFORE you started reaching in and untangling things!!??!

Hope you find the key and its not too chewed up maybe you can still use it.