Sunday, June 14, 2009

Trouble in Paradise

Let me start with the fact that I jumped into a new project a few days ago called iTalk iPhone as a web developer until my new job starts. I got about 2 days into it and created a Cydia repo for them and I'm working on an auction system. It's for free because I feel I should be coding for fun as well as profit. Never just one or the other.

Anyway, the reason I only got about 2 days into it is that we got a phone call saying my grandmother is doing very poorly. My mom was worried but she had already said she wouldn't visit again. She flew out last October when my grandmother's condition deteriorated and everybody expected her to die. She paid her respects, they all said their goodbyes but came to the agreement she wouldn't make the trek again.

It seems my grandmother asked for my mom specifically on this past Thusday or so. She asked me to buy her a plane ticket while she was at work. I called her back and told her she'd fly out the next day, then she asked me to buy a second ticket and go with her. We arrived and looking at my grandmother is just sad. I'm not sure how my mom or my aunts do it and take care of her. I don't think I'm strong enough.

It's a bit of a family reunion, I haven't been here in 4 years. I love coming here, though clearly not under these circumstances. Some people think of Colombia and the first thought in their mind is cocaine and drug dealers. I look around and I see beauty and think "home". This is where I grew up for the first 3 years of my life. I don't really remember much of it but clearly it was enough to evoke nostalgia 20 years later.

The town we live in here is far from luxurious - hell, there's no hot water - but sometimes it's simplicity we need. It's poor, but most certainly not lacking. There's always food on the table, a roof over your head, and I'm always welcome. I miss this.

I'll post later. I'll be coming home next Sunday but I'll most likely post before then.

3 comments:

Aek said...

Didn't know you were from Columbia, that's cool.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. I find that smells in particular bring back old memories that even old pictures can't evoke.

Take care man, best of luck with everything.

Crash said...

Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. Thanks for your wishes.

Seth said...

Sorry you're caught in a tough spot right now but i'm sure your presence alone is enough, nevermind chores etc.

*hugs*